Harley Plumbing provides carbon monoxide testing in the Melbourne Metro area. Carbon monoxide testing is imperative for all homes and businesses. If you have a gas appliance or gas heater in your home or rental then it must have carbon monoxide every 2 years. Harley Plumbing offers carbon monoxide testing in Melbourne for homes and businesses. Every gas heater should have regular carbon monoxide testing. In fact, it is a legal requirement for rental properties in Victoria. Carbon monoxide is a silent killer, the gas is odourless and colourless making it undetectable. It has claimed one life in Victoria every year and that’s one of the reasons the government has mandated compulsory carbon monoxide testing in Melbourne. Energy Safe Victoria states all homes to have their gas heaters serviced and tested once every 2 years.
Carbon monoxide happens when there is not enough oxygen for fuel. The lack of oxygen causes the fuel to produce CO and not CO2 (carbon dioxide). Harley Plumbing provides carbon monoxide testing for Melbourne commercial and residential properties. Carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas and not poisonous, carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas. Even in small amounts, it is deadly. It kills by substituting oxygen in the haemoglobin in your blood, leading to asphyxiation. Often a person dies in their sleep or falls asleep due to lack of oxygen and then passes away, this is why it’s such a dangerous gas.
Testing for a Carbon Monoxide Leak
Carbon monoxide (CO) cannot be detected by sight or smell. Specialist equipment is needed, however, there are a few small signs to look out for that may indicate your gas ducted heating is leaking CO
- The pilot light often goes out
- Heater switches off slightly
- The flame in the burner is a strange colour and shows soot
- Higher than normal gas bills
- If the flame is any colour other than blue – yellow and green means there is a problem
- Leaking gas attracts humidity meaning condensation on windows and surfaces
- A build-up of soot around the furnace, ceiling and walls of the heater
What Causes a Carbon Monoxide Leak?
- Faulty parts
- Has not been regularly serviced
- Heater is old
- Heater does not run efficiently
What are the Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
- Mild to severe headache
- Sudden onset of feeling tired
- Shortness of breath
- Feeling weak
- Chest pains
- Feeling strange or confused
If you or anyone in your home shows signs of these symptoms they need to be immediately taken outside in fresh air. For severe symptoms call an ambulance. Do not reenter the home until emergency services have cleared the property. Then air it out completely.
Carbon Monoxide Testing Melbourne
Harley Plumbing recommends the room your heater is installed in well aired and all chimneys/flues remain free of blockages. Call us if the flame in any gas appliance is yellow or orange.
We offer gas appliances servicing and carbon monoxide testing in Melbourne. Our plumbers provide compliance reports, gas safety certificates and we service homeowners, landlords, tenants and businesses. We offer gas appliances servicing and carbon monoxide testing in Melbourne.
Call us for all of your emergency plumbing including any worries about carbon monoxide leaks. And remember to have your home serviced at least once every two years for carbon monoxide testing.
Book Your Ducted Heating Service today
Price = $231 plus GST for the first 30 mins. Then $39 + GST for each 15mins thereafter. Plus any costs for parts
- Removing and washing burners
- Remove and clean/replace the pilot injector
- Replace thermocouple (if applicable)
- Clean flame sensors (if applicable)
- Check heat exchanger for cracks (important to stop carbon monoxide from entering the home)
- Check burner pressure is set correctly
- Check for the correct operation of the fan motor/capacitor (replace capacitor if required) additional cost.
- Complete a full Carbon monoxide test throughout the home
- Provide a written report if requested.
Read our blog on ‘Should I Service my Gas Ducted Heater’